Friday, July 07, 2006

Brand New reminds me of Will. Matt Costa reminds me of Jonathan. Wicked and Over the Rhine make me think of Carolyn. Shakira puts me back on the cushions of University Boulevard's hookah bar. Dresden Dolls, Elena. Being this age infects everything with feeling, subjectivity. I've been around long enough to have portioned out and pressed in, I am no longer only my own. This is what I've always been afraid the world would do to me, take away "innocence".

However, its end isn't the wasteland I imagined it would be. I'm walking the world a marked woman, now; September makes me think of leaving and I see old ghosts in airports. Certain books on the shelf, certain songs, the way he looked at me, the argument, the cigarette. So I'm twenty now, and I've felt grass and mud and carelessness. I've kissed, been kissed, cursed, prayed, coveted, disturbed the peace, been exactly who she needed, broke the window, escaped under starlight, known people who died, felt confusion, obsession, burned things for fun, found secret passageways, wrote letters I didn't send, wore the wrong shoes, got wet, danced, looked beautiful.

4 Comments:

Blogger carolynem said...

sometimes i forget, but you help me remember:

into the strenuous briefness
Life hand-organs and april darkness,
friends, i charge laughing

into the hair-thin tints of yellow dawn, into the women-colored twilight i smilingly glide
into the big vermillion departure i swim, sayingly

do you think the (i do)
world is probably made up of
roses and hellos, of so
longs and ashes

3:25 PM

 
Blogger carolynem said...

i miss you.
come to my new apartment, please?

12:44 PM

 
Blogger carolynem said...

um, time for a post.

3:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Thick large cocks Pictures of drug adderall Zocor at cost Dh 830 ac humidifier Ac order valium Video cards for gaming Printer information in user profile cheapest didrex maple leaf medications can save yo free water analysis systems filters cheap calling card Scartch and dend major appliance

8:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home